Saturday, September 15, 2012

Paper Mache

Hey there everyone! :) Sorry I haven't been posting anything lately. I've been really busy and have also been working on paper mache projects. The paper mache clay that I will be referring to in this post is not my invention. These creations are mine, however, the idea of the paper mache clay, and the website that inspired me was: ultimatepapermache.com

The beginnings of a Tesseract from the Avengers.

Masking tape covering on the Tesseract. 

It's Mjolnir! :) Forged in the heart of a dying star.... or out of cardboard, tape, and a paper towel role. ;)

Masking tape covering finished. 

For all of the Avengers fans out there: if you look closely on the top, you can see the circular part of Mjolnir. I tried to make this as close as possible to the one used in Thor and Avengers.

Loki's scepter from the Avengers. This is a cardboard cut out that I made from drawing the outline based on pictures from the movie.  

I applied the masking tape, and then traced the outline onto another sheet of cardboard and repeated the process again. I then glued the 2 pieces together at the top. Using little bits of cardboard glued together, I glued the pieces to the bottom of the scepter to give it a more 3 dimensional look. 

After all the glue was set, I re-wrapped the object in more masking tape to give it more support. I put a yardstick next to the scepter so that you can see just how tall it is. (For anyone who uses the metric system, this is about a meter.)

For all of these projects, I still have to apply something called paper mache clay, which replaces paper strips, and can be sculpted to get finer detail (there is a lot of engraving and detail towards the top of the scepter and by the handle. After that will apply a coat to protect and harden the objects, and then I can move onto painting them!
Note: I do not own any of the copy written characters above!!

No comments:

Post a Comment