Wednesday, June 3, 2015

New Experiment: Black Paper and White Charcoal Sketches

I'm starting to work with a new medium! After a quick trip to Michael's the other day, I ended up buying a pad of black sketch paper, and two white charcoal pencils. I wanted to experiment with drawing a subject on black paper, with a white pencil or ink, but had no idea if it would work or not. So far, I've been very pleased with the results!

This was a quick sketch I did to try out the new materials the first night I had them. Some of you may remember, the koi fish is from a watercolor painting I did a while back. The rest is just random doodling. 

I put this medium to the test the next day, by trying to draw a picture I found of a Wolverine-Venom character. I sketched it out with a regular pencil and went over it with the charcoal, adding shading and details as I went along. 

So far, the combination of the paper and the charcoal is really fun to work with! It kind of reminds me of drawing on a chalkboard. It's so exciting every time I try a new medium, and it's even more exciting when an experiment or idea works! This is definitely opens up new possibilities for learning a new style of art!

Have you worked with this type of artwork before? Do you have suggestions on the dos and don'ts of white charcoal and/or black paper? Leave a message in the comments! And, if you could share my blog, I'd greatly appreciate it! :) My next post(s) will be the anatomy drawings I mentioned in my previous post.

Note: I do not own any of the copy-written characters above!!

No comments:

Post a Comment