Sunday, December 7, 2014

More Costuming Ideas

One of my artistic hobbies is designing and making costumes. These are a few costume ideas I've come up with.

 This costume design is a Steampunk Loki costume, based on the Simplicity pattern below. Once I finished  with my Loki scepter (which I'm hoping to work on and completely finish, soon!) I would love to make this costume, but still have to make the helmet for it.



Another costume that I just finished, is a clockwork machine costume based on the characters from Doctor Who, from the episode, "The Girl in the Fireplace."
This is a reference photo of the episode, that I used, and below is a photo of me in the costume.

While the dress isn't quite the right time period, I'm going to be making alterations to it soon. One thing I'm very proud of with this costume, is the mask. I took a simple masquerade mask, and painted it for my costume. I did have to make they eye openings larger, and sanded the edges for a smoother look.

I'll be adding more details to it soon, by adding thin nylon to the inside of the eyes to darken them, and also adding gold leaf paint to where the yellow is now. I know it's not the best costume for this character, but keep in mind, I worked on the mask, and altered the dress, the night before the event!

Here's a close up of the mask below:

I hope to continue working on all of the above costume project soon. However, this is my next project! I'm trying to create a costume for one of the dolls from the Doctor Who episode, "Night Terrors."
I'm trying to figure out how to create the headpiece of the costume, but haven't quite gotten the idea for it yet. Some ideas are making a paper mache costume (with newspaper, not the clay, as it's so much heavier), or making it out of cardboard. Another idea is to buy a mask used in fencing, and add paper mache to the front, and cardboard to the back, to create the features of the costume.

If you have any ideas on how to create this headpiece, please add your comments below! Thanks again for reading my blog!

Note: I do not own any copy-written images, names, or characters above!!

No comments:

Post a Comment